Friday 17 May 2013

The Way We Express Ourselves

Difference in Expression

"You should do this more," one would say to me. "be like this, be more like so-and-so," or "do it like this," they would demand of me. Things that I've had directed at me in the past in regards to how I conveyed my thoughts, performed actions, and how I presented myself. Why some wanted to change how I express myself I never understood.

A previous manager I worked with would annoy me with this. He would tell me; "Henry, you're fit and strong, but you gotta show it more. Stick your chest out more." Inducing his "way" of illustrating power in how I conduct my work in a clothing store and in general. I saw no reasoning in this. I'm not cocky so I don't want to present myself as a douche bag or that I'm a boisterous individual. My personality has grown and developed along side with me while my temperament is innate and unchangeable. A temperament of a melancholy and phlegmatic. A topic that I will talk about another time.

While I prefer to not be aggressive, I'm not afraid to get my hands dirty. Don't push me to the point where I have to resort to do so. Some might see this as a means for them to intrude and assimilate. Do so and they'll meet resistance and get pushed back. Hack-and-slash me and trash talk all you want in the game of hockey, I won't back down. I'll make you my target. I'll battle you in front of the net and along the boards. Every shot you take I'll be there like a wall. I won't be intimidated. You'll meet the same resistance trying to change or belittle my demeanor with a calm yet strong "no". The same "no," spoken quietly by Rosa Parks. Something so simple, but so powerful.

I see now that he, like many others, deemed my reserved and calm attitude weren't fitting qualities to have. That being loud and attention-seeking was the way to be in this life. I've had this mentality thrown at me from time to time and what a load of crap it is. Those qualities do not equate to success nor superiority.

We are the way we are because that is how we are wired to be. There's no need to force your way onto us. Famous introverts like Michael Jordan or Kobe didn't have to change their personalities in order to win, Rosa Parks didn't have to to do what she did. From Ghandi to Steven Spielberg to Obama. They all did it their own way. Don't undervalue a more reserved personality filled with deep thought and reflection, you shouldn't try and change us. You have your own way of expressing yourselves and we have our own.
To do otherwise where we change how we are suppose to function and behave would mean lying to ourselves. To live a lie that will lead to failure. Bruce Lee said it best himself;
"Always be yourself, express yourself, have faith in yourself, do not go out and look for a successful personality and duplicate it."
Being true to yourself is how I want to live. It is where I'll be more content with my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment